Whether due to vegan convictions or diseases such as lactose intolerance, more and more people want to eliminate dairy products of animal origin by others of vegetable origin. If this is your case, in this article we explain how to prepare a delicious cheese made from vegetable milk.
However, to convince you, first we will talk about the benefits of these products. Take note!
The vegetable milk
Plant milk can come from many types of vegetables and cereals. Therefore, its benefits will be related to the main ingredient from which they are prepared.In any case, the most popular are soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, and rice milk.
In general, this type of milk is characterized by being a natural source of essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that benefit health. In addition, they contain less fat than milk of animal origin. Also, they are easier to digest.
In this case, we will explain how to make cheese from soy milk. You will notice a flavor not very different from traditional cheese. Although not for it will be less tasty or delicious.
Soy milk is rich in B vitamins (such as vitamin B2) and vitamin D. In addition, a glass of soy milk contains 4 grams of fat, of which a small amount (0.5 grams) are fat saturated On the other hand, it is a source of amino acids and provides the same amount of proteins as cow’s milk.
Tofu or tofu
Cheese made from soy milk is commonly known as tofu. It is rich in protein and low in fat. In addition, it is an important source of calcium.
On the other hand, tofu is ideal to prevent cardiovascular diseases. Indeed, this is due to its content of vitamin E, lecithins and essential fatty acids. In addition, it has been associated with greater control of menopausal symptoms in women.
How to make cheese from vegetable milk
- 1 liter of soy milk without sugar.
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup of water
Kitchen utensils you’ll need
- 1 sieve or large sieve
- 1 large bowl (will be the cheese container)
- Cooking pot
- Big spoon
- First, heat the milk in the pot for about five minutes. It is the ideal time to add some kind of spice to give more flavor to the cheese.
- When it has boiled, turn off the heat and strain the milk.
- Next, add the juice of the strained lemon and a pinch of salt.
- At this time, we will observe how small lumps form in the mixture. We should let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After this time, we must pass the mixture through the sieve or sieve, little by little and slowly.
- When we have strained the milk, we must press well with the spoon to fit the bowl we are using.
- Finally, we will leave the bowl with the cheese in the refrigerator for at least one hour, until it sets and acquires the appropriate texture and solidity.
- To add more flavor to your cheese from vegetable milk, you can add aromatic spices when you heat the milk. In this way, your cheese will be even tastier and aromatic.
- Many people choose to add bits of other foods to cheese. So, for example, you can cut small pieces of tomato or olives and add them little by little during the pressing through the sieve.
In any case, there are many options you have, both to give more flavor, and to make your cheese healthier.
Finally, do not forget two important points: you can prepare this cheese with any type of vegetable milk. Also, you can use the cheese to make delicious recipes, such as croquettes, or serve it only as an appetizer.